Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to The Profit. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Pages: (2) [1] 2  ( Go to first unread post )

LATEST NEWS ON THE LEGAL FRONT, DELAY
The Profit
Posted: Feb 26 2007, 06:46 PM

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

Hello PROFIT Fans,

We have just been notified by our attorney, Luke Lirot, that the much anticipated hearing to lift the Injunction against the film on March 5th has been RESCHEDULED to March 27th.

We were told that the judge in this case, Judge Beach, has asked for the postponement.

We will keep you posted, but for NOW the hearing is scheduled for MARCH 27th, 2007

Keep us in your thoughts!
Xenu
Posted: Feb 27 2007, 11:50 AM

Group: Members
Member No.: 6

Damn that is like another month where The Profit is not earning money and doing justice this better be legalified

Ah well when it is finally released the controversy surrounding it will easily make it a hit
Luke Lirot
Posted: Feb 28 2007, 12:58 PM

Member No.: 10

Hello, Everyone-

I am the attorney that has been trying to get this film to the public for years. This has been a long and complicated battle, and, no I am not as devoid of drive or talent as those of you out there might believe. When I was first approached by Mr. Alexander relative to attempts made by the COS to impede the exhibition and distribution of this important and controversial work, I felt privileged to be involved in such a unique First Amendment issue- The reason that it has been so difficult to overvome the obstacles that were placed in the path of free speech emanated from the fact that the film was prohibited to be shown until the conclusion of the Lisa McPherson wrongful death case (settled, all terms are confidential), as well as the counterclaim against Mr. Minton, which was pending until a couple of days ago, when, out of the blue, I received a Notice of Dismissal of Counterclaim with Prejudice, thus relieving Mr. Minton of having to defend himself from any of the baseless allegations that his involvement in the Lisa McPherson case was simply to "destroy the church," the primary claim against him. Now, the only conditions of the Court Order preventing exhibition of this film have been removed, perhaps not entirely coincidental with the service on Mr. Alexander of a notice from attorney Tom McGowan that Minton had given him power of attorney and that Minton, as a member of the LLC that owns the film (purportedly), has directed that the film "not be distributed, shown, or otherwise exhibited to the public." It would appear that we have yet another battle to wage before this film gets shown, but the fact is that Minton, as a member of the LLC can not do anything not in the best interests of the LLC, and that if, as he states, he is owed over $2 million for contributions into the LLC, he must allow the movie to be shown so that he can be compensated from the LLC, which has as its sole asset, you guessed it, the film "The Profit." I think the law will support us in getting this artistic work the attention and exposure that it deserves. I will continue my efforts to get this accomplished.

Two things that I want to say in closing-First, I think Mr. Minton is a tragic figure, to have believed so strongly in a position and to be manifestly broken down and most likely beaten into submission by the very characteristics he found repugnant in what he opposed, and, second, the COS "double standard" when it comes to trying to "censor" this movie and their adhesion to the First Amendment to protect their "religious" activities is transparent and indicative of a totalitarian and detrimental viewpoint, totally antagonistic to the First Amendment. Don't get me wrong, I could care less if they wanted to worship dead frogs or the petrified remains of constipated aliens in Roswell, I just want them to respect the rights of people that want to exercise their First Amendment rights to be vocally and visibly critical of COS (not that "The Profit" does that), and quit charging money for "spiritual growth." If it isn't free, it isn't spiritual. Lastly, if anyone wants to communicate with me directly, in either a positive or negative way (lest I be labeled a hypocrite), my contact information is:

LAW OFFICES OF LUKE LIROT, P.A.
Luke Lirot, Esq.
2240 Belleair Rd., Suite 190
Clearwater, FL 33764

Let's all keep that "robust exchange of ideas and information" going strong-
only then will the truth be revealed and true freedom attained.

Luke Lirot
denise1210
Posted: Mar 14 2007, 12:48 AM

Member No.: 17

laugh.gif

Fantastically written, Mr. Lirot!

Kudos to you, and all of your efforts!!!!

tongue.gif laugh.gif tongue.gif
jpmoney2k1
Posted: Mar 26 2007, 11:52 PM

Member No.: 20

Just wanted to say best of luck at the hearing tomorrow. Hopefully this movie will get the proper reception that it deserves!
Tigger
Posted: Mar 27 2007, 07:02 PM

Member No.: 19

QUOTE (jpmoney2k1 @ Mar 26 2007, 11:52 PM)
Just wanted to say best of luck at the hearing tomorrow. Hopefully this movie will get the proper reception that it deserves!

Hi,

I may be confused. But when COS dropped its counterclaim suit against Bob Minton, which was the only thing which remained that had any connetion at all to the Lisa McPherson wrongful death suit, didn't that get rid of the injunction and it would not be necessary to have such a hearing?

Or was March 27 the date for some type of hearing regarding Minton's (or his attorney's) attempt to keep THE PROFIT unreleased?

Tigger
The Profit
Posted: Mar 28 2007, 10:24 AM

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

Dear Ms. Tigger,
We have not posted about the dropping of the Injunction because we have not been formally notified that it's a done deal.

You are correct in your assumption that if the Counterclaim in the Lisa case is withdrawn, then common sense would dictate that the issue of the Injunction is a moot point.

Our lawyer has notified the court of this determination and is awaiting assurance from the court that this is in deed true.

Until we have been formally notified we prefer to not jump the gun and make any announcement of same.

Thank you for your interest in THE PROFIT. As soon as we know with certainty, we will bring the news here---you can count on that.
Tigger
Posted: Mar 28 2007, 11:59 AM

Member No.: 19

QUOTE (The Profit @ Mar 28 2007, 10:24 AM)
Dear Ms. Tigger,
We have not posted about the dropping of the Injunction because we have not been formally notified that it's a done deal.

You are correct in your assumption that if the Counterclaim in the Lisa case is withdrawn, then common sense would dictate that the issue of the Injunction is a moot point.

Our lawyer has notified the court of this determination and is awaiting assurance from the court that this is in deed true.

Until we have been formally notified we prefer to not jump the gun and make any announcement of same.

Thank you for your interest in THE PROFIT. As soon as we know with certainty, we will bring the news here---you can count on that.

Hi,

LOL....you are quite correct...that it is never wise to assume anything about anything.

Sorry. I should have simply asked if there was a hearing on March 27, as previously scheduled before COS dropped the counterclaim against Bob Minton. According to your reply it looks like there wasn't, but you do not definitely say there wasn't a hearing.....so smile.gif I am not going to assume there wasn't a hearng.

To clairfy the issue for some people who have assumed there was such a hearing on March 27 and are complaining about the lack of a report about said hearing.....

Was there a hearing on March 27?

Thanks,

Tigger

UMike
Posted: Mar 28 2007, 04:09 PM

Member No.: 8

deleted
XENU TV
Posted: Mar 28 2007, 04:53 PM

Member No.: 14

So was there a hearing? What happened?
XENU TV
Posted: Mar 28 2007, 08:06 PM

So, what gives? I don't understand the silence.
GriporGaff
Posted: Mar 29 2007, 06:55 AM

Member No.: 13

your a real piece of work, arent you, Bunker?

they allready told you that the hearing was posponed untill April. Are you so obsessed with this film or maybe the people involved that you keep raggin about everything and trying make up shit to bother these people?

whats your major malfunction buddy?

how long are you gonna keep up this passive agressive bullshit?

no wonder they are ignoring you

your just a waste of time with your obsession with this

my question to you is why don't you just ask your guy Minton to answer all your made up bull?

no, you woudl rather bother these people with questions they already answered wouldnt you?

even if the judge drops the injunction your pal Minton is still blocking the film so why do you even care about a hearing? you dont. your just a passive agresive asshole trying to stir up shit.

why dont you spend your time convinsing minton to stop blocking the film if your so concerned.

you wont

your just here to cause problems

bunker why dont you stop bothering these people and if you really want the film to get out talk to your pal and tell him to back off

but you wont do that either cos your just here to act stupid

XENU TV
Posted: Mar 29 2007, 02:26 PM

Hello, Griper.

Why not just say, "the hearing was postponed until April." Or even, "as we mentioned in a previous post, the hearing was postponed until April."

Putting that in the thread for "latest news" in which it is announced that there was a court date of March 27th would have been a good idea.

Much better than jumping down a poster's throat (even if it is mine) if you just wanted to share "the latest news."

Now why didn't they just trim out Dandar's cameo last year and release the movie? It's a virtually wordless moment when Dandar scribbles "appears mental" on the FBI file of the Hubbard character.

THAT was all that Scientology was upset about? It doesn't make sense.

BTW, I'm trying not to post here. It only appears that I am a frequent poster because virtually no one else is coming to this board. I've asked a couple of polite questions which could be answered easily.

Last time, the board ops learned that it is better to be polite than go into full rant mode. Hopefully this time they'll learn that a simple answer will suffice.
technati
Posted: Apr 3 2007, 12:45 AM

Member No.: 21

I wrote a piece on this film and the problem

The Profit - A Banned Film in the USA

please digg, del.icio.us, or stumble this!

I encourage all readers to take action, which may help put question to Judge Robert Beach's questionable decision.
technati
Posted: Apr 5 2007, 10:47 AM

Member No.: 21

hey everyone, thanks for the diggs! This story became the # 1 story on digg.com!!! unfortunately it also crashed my server!!!

you can still see it -> the profit
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic OptionsPages: (2) [1] 2 

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.3945 seconds · Archive