Skin created by Fac3full. For more great skins, visit IFHelp and IFSZ.

Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Denominations. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Religious Liberals
Wren
Posted: Feb 8 2008, 06:20 PM

Church of Christ

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

I came across this term "religious liberals" today and was wondering if anyone can explain what this is. I mean, it sounds obvious, but other than the "obvious", is there anything else I may be missing? (for example, is there a particular group of people or church that name themselves as such, and are they of any particular denomination?)

Whether or not you know what the term means, I would be interested in hearing your thoughts.

Thanks. :)
Fastpitch
Posted: Feb 9 2008, 09:10 AM

Advanced Member

Group: Church of Christ
Member No.: 28

Wren I have quoted Wayne Jackson of the Christian Courier: “Liberalism” (in the classical sense of the word) is a rather flexible term that reflects an ideological disposition that developed in the 1800s, and reached an intense level in America during the days preceding World War II. Increasingly, it has found its way among the people of God. Theological “liberalism” is characterized by several arrogant attitudes.

Liberalism seeks to establish a gulf between itself and an acknowledgement of the historical accuracy and authority of the Scriptures. Allegedly, the discoveries of the modern scientific community have progressively and significantly made the Bible irrelevant to the modern man.

Liberalism exalts human “reason” over the testimony of Scripture. All events in the Bible (especially the miraculous) must be measured by modern “experience,” rather than judged in the light of credible, historical testimony. The supernatural events of the Scriptures, therefore, are dismissed, or else they are given some sort of mystical twist that allows one to claim that he respects the Bible, while, at the same time, he recycles the events of history in order to placate the presuppositions of skepticism. In reality, classical liberalism is the stepchild of infidelity."

How many times have we heard the saying, "Oh, we all want to get to heaven, many are taking different routs"? Sounds great...but, it is not a biblical sound hermeneutic....anyway, I thought Wayne had a very good definition of "Liberalism."

Is it cold in Canada? I have seen a number of cars heading South down I-75 toward Florida, with Canadian plates.
Fastpitch
Wren
Posted: Feb 9 2008, 01:02 PM

Church of Christ

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Thanks for the feedback, Fastpitch. :)

Well, it isn't cold here in Canada...at least not in Montreal, it isn't, because we have had a lot of snow this year. I much prefer the snow to the frigid minus 30 temperatures, this is for sure.
ollie
Posted: Feb 19 2008, 08:24 AM

Global Moderator

Group: Global Moderator
Member No.: 40

Many times I find the label of liberalism attached to differing thoughts on scripture. In other words if a verse of the Bible says something to one person or denomination that is different from what another person or denomination says, then the first party will refer to the second party as liberal. The first party believing thier view is the true and conservative one and the second party is taking liberties. It is very divisive.

ollie
ollie
Posted: Nov 2 2009, 05:58 PM

Global Moderator

Group: Global Moderator
Member No.: 40

Paul reveals some liberalism, or perhaps liberty, towards others in Romans 14:1-23.
However what is allowed in liberality must not violate one's faith or conscience in the Lord or it is sin.

ollie
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
Learn More · Sign-up for Free

Topic Options

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0414 seconds · Archive