zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.

Learn More · Sign-up for Free
Welcome to The Professor Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Pages: (3) 1 2 [3]  ( Go to first unread post )

Xeo's Insanely Awesome Video Game Extravaganza, I like video games...
Jeff
Posted: Feb 26 2009, 09:44 AM

I dig giant robots.

Group: Teacher's Pet
Member No.: 16

There's a loli, a girl-next-door, a catgirl, an almost-naked girl with big boobs, and a girl with wings and glasses.

Loli = offensive mage
Girl-next-door = archer
Catgirl = speed-based fighter
Almost-Naked Girl = offensive/defensive mage
Wings and Glasses = defensive mage

--------------------
Even loved ones scatter like petals from flowers in my hand. So even if I engraved the meaning that I lived in my hand, the petals will just scatter as flowers of vanity.
JoJoMunky
Posted: Feb 28 2009, 01:33 AM

Hmm?

Group: Class Rep
Member No.: 24

I just started playing Star Ocean: Second Evolution on the PSP. It's kinda cute, but so far, very little actual game playing...just wandering around talking to people and getting the storyline set up. Am hoping it isn't all like this.

I was looking for a game to keep me entertained on a long flight and tried a Prince of Persia game (didn't like it), Valhalla Knights (is okay, but not visually pleasing) and Star Ocean. I ended up switching between Star Ocean when I wanted a story and Dissidia FF when I just felt like beating someone up.

I battered through God of War: Chains of Olympus really quickly, then realised I had it set on easy more. LOL

--------------------
I wish I was an über-cool mod like Jeff.
Jeff
Posted: Mar 23 2009, 06:18 AM

I dig giant robots.

Star Ocean 2 takes a while to get going. I'm not gonna lie to you. It's also still stuck in that whole "no high-tech planet for you until well over the halfway point" thing that the series FINALLY broke free with in Last Hope. You might want to look up a recruitment guide, since it's not always a good idea to take everyone with you.

This is probably a little too late, though. :E

I have a PSP and First Departure. I bought SO2 way back when it was new on the PS1, so I've pretty much exhausted everything that game has to offer. I even got my dream pairing of Claude and Opera in one playthrough. I was all "FUCK YEAH".

At the moment, I'm waiting for Super Robot Wars K to arrive in the mail. When it does arrive, you guys will see me EVEN LESS. But I'll still show up for EC. I'm not that much of a dick.

--------------------
Even loved ones scatter like petals from flowers in my hand. So even if I engraved the meaning that I lived in my hand, the petals will just scatter as flowers of vanity.
JoJoMunky
Posted: Mar 28 2009, 03:49 AM

Hmm?

Group: Class Rep
Member No.: 24

The most frustrating thing about the game so far was getting through an obnoxiously long scene full of characters yapping and no actual gameplay, then dropping my PSP and having to go back and do it all again. dry.gif

I've kinda given up on it at the moment. I decided that if I wanted hugely long plot-revealing scenes where all I can do is hit the okay button, I'd play FFVII. So that's exactly what I'm doing. Hah-hah.

Dissidia is back on my PSP for the moment.

--------------------
I wish I was an über-cool mod like Jeff.
Jeff
Posted: Mar 28 2009, 11:49 AM

I dig giant robots.

Tri-Ace has a tendency to do that: throw scenes at you without much chance to save. It's a hazard of the genre. And the PSP is way less durable than the DS. The DS is NINTENTOUGH. But my L button busted so I bought a black one instead. At this point, Alan and I can tell ours apart, so he won't accidently abscond with my copy of SRWK. Yes, it came.

Been playing that. So, so happy that Dangaioh is useful. Frustrated that Gaiking's not as good as it should be (L-sized SR takes damage like a bitch and gets targeted all the time). Jeeg is raep. Kenji's one of my top three aces, along with Roll (the Daingaioh lead pilot) and Kira "Jesus" Yamato. Mostly it was the map attack in stsge 19-2 that pushed his killcount up. Otherwise he hasn't been around long enough. Van and Gou (from Gun X Sword and Godannar, respectively) are up there, but they were left in the dust as both the route splits I took excluded them.

I could talk about SRW all day. I really could.

--------------------
Jeff
Posted: May 1 2009, 08:49 PM

I dig giant robots.

Hey, DS-owners! Do you like RPGs? Do you like jiggling titties? Do you like to see huge damage numbers and flashy combos? Then boy, do I have the game for you!

Super Robot Taisen OG Saga: Endless Frontier. The basic premise is that there's this bounty hunter guy named Haken Browning, and his partner is a female android named Aschen Brodel. Aschen's interesting, as she has two personalities, the "genki" one activating when she goes into full-capability mode. Normally, she's a pretty logical type. Anyway, the basic gist of the story is that all the worlds are connected, Haken and Aschen are at ground zero for crazy shit, and it all stemmed from taking a princess (with giant knockers) home.

The battle system is turn-based, but when you're attacking, you need to time your attacks. It's a bit like Namco X Capcom, only you set your combos in advance, it's based on meter-use instead of number of actions, and you only just use the A button to attack (instead of O+direction). Using items and casting spells doesn't take up much of your action meter (goes from 0 to 100; you get 50 per turn and a bonus 10 if you jump in on a consecutive attack), so you can go crazy healing yourself before attacking if you need to (and you'll need to). You can customize your attack combos, too, plus you're allowed to practice outside of regular combat. This way, you won't be caught with your pants down if you choose a crappy setup.

The music is absofuckinglutely fantastic. You don't even have to preorder it to get the mini-OST, either. Bonus! Also, the voices are in Japanese. They're battle-only, but you get to hear Nobuyuki Hiyama scream playing card-related attack names. Aschen has the same voice-actor as Lamia Loveless (from SRW). She's an intentional expy. The interesting thing is that Aschen's two personalities (stoic and genki) are basically Lamia and Excellen's personalities, respectively.

OH GOD I HAVE TO SHUT UP ALREADY. Buy the damn game, you heathens. It's not even that expensive, as it's a DS game.

--------------------
Xeo
Posted: May 6 2009, 06:30 AM

Freshman

Group: Student
Member No.: 212

Yeah Jeff, I like RPGs, jiggling titties, and almost anything big and flashy.
So naturally I bought SWTOGS. That and I'm a damn sucker for almost anything Atlus US publishes. Seriously, almost anything. And they're shit gets rare, so like if I don't buy them now, I may pay out the ass for them in the future.

I also recently bought The Dark Spire which they also published.

This is actually my first SRT game...and of course I pick the complete offshoot of the series. Either way, I like it so far. Those jiggling titties work wonders in making that decision.

--------------------
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.
"I'm too old for this horseshit. Hell I was too old for this horseshit 15 years ago."
Jeff
Posted: May 7 2009, 11:36 AM

I dig giant robots.

You shouldn't encourage Atlus' shovelware-localization. Out of all the games they've brought over since 1/1/07 (roughly two years), less than a dozen were truly worthwhile.

Persona 3, Persona 3: FES, Persona 4, Etrian Odyssey, Etrian Odyssey 2, Luminous Arc 2 (dunno when 1 came out), SRTOGS: Endless Frontier, Spectral Force 3, and Growlanser: Heritage of War.

Nippon Ichi has a better track record at this point. Odin Sphere's not a BAD game, but it's not my style, however. Still, they've got that partnership with Gust, and I love those Atelier and Atelier-like games. It's like playable anime. Tales, too, but that's Namco. (Since they own Banpresto, they should bring out OG3 if it's PS3 or 360.)

...imho.

--------------------
Xeo
Posted: May 27 2009, 12:11 AM

Freshman

See, i feel the exact opposite.
Nippon Ichi has published all of two games I've truly enjoyed. And I don't really care for Gust games.

I enjoy a good 90% of what Atlus publishes.

Most recently Devil Summoner 2.

--------------------
"I'm too old for this horseshit. Hell I was too old for this horseshit 15 years ago."
Jeff
Posted: May 27 2009, 12:20 PM

I dig giant robots.

Well, since we're friends, and we're mature adults, we can just agree to disagree, brofist, and get on with our lives.

I got a PS3 today. It's not BC, but that doesn't matter. I need my PS2 to play imports. It's in the closet right now, though, as I'm going to be playing Disgaea 3, Valkyria Chronicles, and Cross Edge for a good long while. Not to mention that SRW Advance Portable FINALLY SHIPPED TODAY.

Later, doods.

--------------------
Xeo
Posted: May 29 2009, 03:48 AM

Freshman

Your feeling of Cross Edge so far Bro?
I'm thinking of getting it this weekend, and would like your opinion.

--------------------
Jeff
Posted: May 29 2009, 09:12 PM

I dig giant robots.

I haven't played it that much, but I like it so far. The battle system's pretty interesting. The sprites look quite good, and they don't seem to be recycles.

I got Advance Portable today, so don't expect to see me around for a while. :E

--------------------
Xeo
Posted: May 30 2009, 09:18 PM

Freshman

Well I decided to wing it and get Cross Edge anyway.
I know little to nothing about it, other than it has some characters I know, some of which I like. I like all of the Darkstalkers characters in it, and I like Etna and the Prinnies (Love the Prinnies). I didn't really care for Ar Tonelico 1, but I liked 2. And I liked Mana Khemia, but haven't played 2.

So really, for me this is about Dimitri, Morrigan, Lillith, Felicia, Etna and a Prinny.

I don't think I'll regret buying it. I like uniqueness, and I've heard nothing but that about the game's battle system. Now even from you bro.

I'm also playing through inFAMOUS and Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga though too.
Infamous is fantastic, and I beat Mario & Luigi: Partners In Time recently, so I needed to go back and beat the first one too.

--------------------
Jeff
Posted: Sep 5 2009, 08:31 PM

I dig giant robots.

My PS2 is dead. The disc tray motor finally crapped out. Well, not like it matters. I've been looking for an excuse to get a slim one, anyway. It was bought used (three and a half years ago), and the thing barely worked. I'd get DREs on a near-constant basis with certain games, and it wouldn't play PS1 discs AT ALL.

Besides, I'm not going to do the "use paperclips to keep the tray open while you swap discs* thing that some people do with their slim ones. I'll just wait until I'm employed again, buy a used fat one, and have that one strictly be my imports-playing PS2. I could use some time off from ROBOTAN GAEMZ to work on my real and true backlog, anyway.

Edit: Fuck it. I'm not going to worry about it. I can always borrow my friend's PS2 if I desperately need to play something. I have to finish my PS3 and a lot of my 360 games, anyway. I suppose pretty much everything can wait.

Don't tell me about emulators, either. My computer sucks and it's not worth it with the downstairs computer.

--------------------
« Next Oldest | Mixed Media, Video Games, and Tech | Next Newest »
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
Learn More · Sign-up Now

Topic OptionsPages: (3) 1 2 [3] 

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.2067 seconds · Archive