Skin created by Kman. Find more great skins at the IF Skin Zone.
Nightside2

zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
zIFBoards gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.

Learn More · Register for Free
Welcome to Nightside. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Lumen's quarters at The Forge, Closed (Personal Posts)
Lumen
Posted: Mar 28 2009, 02:02 AM

Survivor

Group: Adminstrators
Member No.: 83

______Lumen looked about his new quarters with a frown on his face. The room was small, just ten by ten feet. The walls looked to be simple granite, as well as the floor and the ceiling, everything looked like he was underground. The room looked cramped with the huge stone dresser, the overstuffed box-spring bed, and a wash basin over in the corner. A door led to the indoor-outhouse, which smelled surprisingly clean. Lumen looked inside, and realized that a small pipe filled with rushing water would carry away any waste. Hoping the pipe didn't lead to a drinking fountain somewhere he opened his dresser drawers. They were filled with essentials; underclothing, normal clothing, a cloak, and some toiletries to use with the wash basin. A nice setup Lumen supposed, after all the bed could have been a pallet and the indoor-outhouse could have been a chamber-pot instead. He even had a door with a lock, so he could wash in private.

______Aldren walked in, a smile on his face. Aldren was an older apprentice, almost sixty, and he was pretty much in control of the other apprentices. He was five-nine and had broad shoulders to match his muscles, which was just as well considering his occupation. His hair was long and dark, almost black, and not a single gray hair to be seen, he kept it tied up in a pony-tail. He kept his beard trimmed and his teeth were white. His clothes looked pressed even if he slept in them, and it seemed even soot couldn't touch his clothes, he never had a spot of black anywhere. His pants were red and grey, making a tight spiral pattern. His shirt matched perfectly of course, in reverse coloring.

______"Settled in yet, Lumen? Heh, it seems they gave you a journeyman's quarters instead of a lowly apprentice's. That means we should expect some fine work outta you." Aldren spoke with a Scottish accent, smiling even more broadly at Lumen," C'mon then, Lumen. Time to give you a tour of the place, get some food in your stomach, then off to work with ya. You'll have to earn these quarters, and you can do that by showing us if your ready to be called journeyman."

______And with that he strode back the way he came, turning a corner and vanishing. With a grin, Lumen followed. This was going to be interesting working for a poser deity.

--------------------
Lumen Latonesh - Will the Nightside break this hero?

Celdaren Mach - Psycho with punch daggers, what more needs said?%mh%-50%mh%
Lumen
Posted: Mar 28 2009, 10:45 PM

Survivor

______Beads of sweat streamed down Lumen's face, dripping onto the stone floor next to the hot forge. Although not one of the bigger or hotter of the forge-rooms in this place, this was the one most accustomed to working with mundane materials. The dark stone walls soaked up the heat, and the floor was covered in stains from various liquids. Containers full of crude-oil, fresh-water, salt water, and olive oil were off to one side of the room. On the other side a large anvil sat ready, with multiple sets of blacksmith hammers hanging on a wooden frame, ranging from little two-pound gold-hammers to the big thirty-pound Cold Iron pounder. Set at the opposite end to the door was the forge itself. A towering twelve foot furnace capable of producing enough heat to melt tungsten almost as easily as gold. Grimacing from the heat, Lumen wiped his brow, picked up a pair of heavy tongs, and pulled his unfinished creation from the fire.

______Scrollwork and jewelry were not his specialties, yet Hephaestus had told Lumen to make one of everything he knew how, so today Lumen was making a heavily scrolled and patterned set of silver bracelets with chains leading to five just as heavily scrolled and patterned gold rings. When done these would be sold to some woman or her husband, both having more money than brains. It was pretty, but worthless. A lot of pretty things seemed to not have a good purpose. Take Lucifer himself, Satan if you will. He was the prettiest thing in the universe before he fell, and he certainly had no positive use that Lumen could think of.

______Unbidden, images of somebody more than just pretty flashed into Lumen's mind. That pale, softer than cream skin. The long straight hair hanging down to her thighs, gleaming gold-red in the shining moonlight. Those generous lips, always curved into a slight smile. Lumen shook his head to dispel the image. There was something Lumen definitely had no use for. Aphrodite, the Greek goddess of love and sex, had apparently taken a personal interest in him. Lumen shivered despite the sweltering heat in the room. When big people paid attention to little people, it almost always ended bad for the little person.

______The voices were quiet today, they were always quiet when Lumen was working the forge or pounding out something on the anvil. This was one of the reasons Lumen loved to blacksmith, it was a respite from the voices. The silence was audible at these times however, almost as if the voices were hoping, or waiting in anticipation. Lumen never did understand why the voices were with him, they had first come to him after his family had died in all those accidents. His entire family wiped out almost to the last man, all by accidents. That was a time-line away however, the here and now was being apprenticed to Hephaestus, Greek god of the forge. Lumen turned back to his work.

______The jewelry had cooled long enough, so Lumen took them over to the anvil. Picking up the small two pound gold-hammer, he set to work shaping the soft metal into the desired shape. Hephaestus, Lumen was an apprentice to a being he didn't think existed until he met him just a week ago! Still, there were definitely perks to being the apprentice to a god. The biggest being unlimited work opportunity. No matter how much material Lumen used, there were always ingots of fresh metal waiting to be shaped to his desire, a blacksmith's dream come true. Lumen smiled as he pounded the jewelry.

______Tap tap tap. Tap tap tap.

______There, just one more heating, some linking, and a bit of proper shining, and it would be done. Lumen finished the work quickly, looked his creation over, and then proceeded to his quarters. Free room and board for apprentices, Hephaestus didn't seem to realize it was the twentieth century, or that he no longer had a volcano as his forge, or even that this wasn't a guild. Then again, Lumen wasn't sure about those last two. Carefully placing the bracelets onto a special dais, he changed out of his blacksmith's apron and into his normal garb and headed out again. Lumen quickly found who he was looking for.

______”Hello mortal, once again you deign to show your face to the rest of the world. What's the occasion, are you finally done with your samples?” rumbled Hephaestus, his voice a hammer hitting an anvil. Hephaestus was a bulky man, swinging blacksmith hammers for two-thousand years could do that. His face look carved from diamond, even his hair had the look of black stone. The only thing marring his features of the perfect blacksmith were his legs. Misshapen and ugly, his legs could barely support him, he had never been a fast person in his life.

______”No occasion, Heph, unless you count me drilling you for more information. If I'm eventually to join the world out there, I want to know exactly what I'm getting into,” Lumen replied, his voice sounding almost tenor compared to Hephaestus's.

______”The World” was a much different place than Lumen had thought when he first arrived in the Nightside. That was until he fell three-hundred feet from out of a dimensional rift, landed on a wyvern, got himself a nickname from the goddess of sex, and found himself apprenticed to her husband. The Nightside was what it's name implied and more. A stretch of land hidden within the bowels of London England the Nightside was the most extensive collection of the strange and terrifying currently in existence. Cars could eat you, and you had to watch teddy bears especially close, to make sure they didn't stick their retractable claws in you. Altogether the most disturbing place for a pure Christian to find himself in after getting lost in London.

______”Why don't you go out there, mortal? In fact, bring me some items from out there, just because I don't know what you can do yet doesn't mean you get to skimp on gathering materials for the work we do here. Aldren here can fill you in on what we need for the next project, now get to it mortal. I think some of it needed vampire blood and werewolf teeth, or was it the other way 'round?” Hephaestus seemed to be chuckling as he spoke.

______Lumen's jaw dropped. Werewolf blood, vampire teeth? What in the world could you use those for? Lumen realized his mouth was open, and snapped it shut with an audible click. Putting thumb and finger to his chin, he actually thought about what they could be used for. He didn't get far, the voices interrupted, speaking in unison for once. “Werewolf blood is known to have healing properties. Vampire teeth are what vampires used to suck blood from their victims.” A weapon of some sort then, with the ability to drain the vitality from the victim while protecting the wielder from it's affect. Lumen slowly nodded, wondering how he was supposed to harvest ingredients like this, he seriously doubted the owners would be willing to volunteer.

______”Alright then Heph. One thing though, can I borrow a silver knife or something? I think it might be necessary to use it before I get back,” Lumen asked, and Hephaestus chuckled again.

______Fifteen minutes later Lumen was almost ready in his quarters, his four knives plus the one borrowed set about his person. His greatsword was strapped to his back. All he needed now was that list and he was off. The only thing he could think was “Wow, an adventure around every stone here” which got a thousand replies from the voices. Aldren, an older apprentice and mentor to the youngest of the others, turned the corner and approached Lumen.

______”Here ya go kid, try not to get yourself killed, I bet we could make you into a proper blacksmith if you don't die on us,” He said with a smile and a bit of parchment in his hand. He handed it over, took one look at the work Lumen had been working on and said,”Mighty fine blacksmith, if you don't die on us.” He walked off, presumably to more work.

______Lumen unrolled the parchment, enjoying the rough feel of it. A quick scan and Lumen wasn't sure he should have gotten out of bed this morning. Vampire teeth and werewolf blood were on the list, and so was some other things that would be dangerous to the point of absurdity in getting. Eight pints of werewolf blood, he'd have to drain one dry for that much. Four Vampire Canines, simple if you thought killing a vampire and taking his teeth before they turned to ash was simple. Giant Dire Rat Teeth, he couldn't have settled with either, he needed teeth from a rat that was both! Holy Water, well that would be easy comp...wait, Holy Carbonated Water? Who blesses soda water? The last item was the worst though. A chunk of demon flesh. That was going to be nigh on impossible, and only nigh on because technically anything was possible. Suddenly Lumen laughed. Well, if this didn't expel the fugue of boredom from his life, he doubted anything could. Still chuckling, he tightened the ties on his boots and set off, back into the streets of Nightside.

--------------------

Lumen
Posted: Apr 20 2009, 03:50 AM

Survivor

______Lumen hammered the anvil, pounding the glowing metal on it into the shape he desired. Today he was making a set of leggings today, the buckles and straps were already waiting in the corner once the shaping was done. Lumen thought they were coming out great, there were no bubbles or warps as yet, and the metal was easily shaped at a couple thousand degrees Fahrenheit. A spell by Lumen's own design stopped the heat of it from affecting him, and the chill of the air from affecting the metal. Lumen whistled while he worked, lost in the art he had followed. Soon enough the leggings were ready for the straps and buckles.

______Just as Lumen was placing the last few straps into place, Hephaestus shambled in. "Well, Lumen. It seems you do deserve the room I gave you, be sure to live up to it. Perhaps, if you are as good as you seem with those leggings, you may be able to take on a different task. Apollo, my sibling, needs to have his horses reshod so he may fly once again into the sky. The problem here is that I and the farther-along apprentices are currently working on a replica of the Nightside for the Authorities, and it is taking all our time. Lumen, I need you to make the horseshoes and shod the horses that pull the chariot of the sun." Hephaestus rumbled, taking a seat on the anvil itself.

______Lumen made sure his jaw was firmly closed as he stared. Horseshoes for the chariot-horses of the sun? But those things were supposed to be huge, and flaming! "You just love giving me a shock don't you Heph? Fine, I'll see what I can do, although I hope you don't have it as a rush order, I'm going to need some study on this. Know any good places to look up care for giant flaming horses?"

______Hephaestus chuckled "Yes, you mortals are so easy to surprise. I suggest the Michael Scott Memorial Library, but stay away from the normal fiction section, some books are best left unread."

______Ten minutes later, Lumen was again ready to set off into the Nightside. He could get some stories, and he had yet to get some of the ingredients Heph needed for that project, so maybe he might get lucky and do a two for one. He left his room and locked the door, his greatsword strapped to his back as always.

--------------------

Lumen
Posted: Nov 25 2009, 12:26 AM

Survivor

______Lumen lay on the box spring bed in his quarters, mulling over what he was going to do now. After all that fighting at the Sage Party, Lumen had managed to tear a chunk of flesh from one of the demons and present it to Hephaestus. Of course it would turn out that it was no longer needed since the person wanting the special item had canceled their order. Lumen was less than pleased, and with his foul mood combining with his injuries from that night it had him staying in bed for almost a week, fuming. Afterwards Lumen was set to work, a lot of it. Twelve hours a day forging and shaping metal into various forms, no breaks until either an item was complete or the twelve hours was up. Not too rough one would say, until they realized that the source of heat for the forge they were using was their own energies. That's right, Lumen was powering the forge with his own energy. Hephaestus had explained it to him, saying that the more dedicated a crafter was to the thing they were creating, the stronger it would be. Having a part of a person flow into their creation was supposed to give them incentive to put all their skill into each and every item they made. That's what Lumen got at least, since he stopped Hephaestus when he went into explaining exactly what it took from him. Best not to know some things.

______Now that he had managed to forge three ornate katana and wakizashi sets, as well as an entire suit of Full Plate and some minor-ly enchanted nunchakus ((Magically weighted, they could break granite in a single strike)) Lumen finally had some time to himself. He had just been notified of it, and he was wondering if he should go out or listen to his aching muscles and sleep. Lumen grinned, like he was going to sleep, he had been too long cooped up in Hephaestus's home, and he needed to get back out into the Nightside and see what he could see. Who knows what had happened, Lumen might find that Celdaren had managed to find his way here, or maybe a nice job had opened up. In fact, Lumen thought he had heard some of the other apprentices mentioning trolls, something about wishing they had some of their blood to forge some special items. Lumen rolled out of his bed and onto his feet, stretching as he could and strapping his greatsword onto his back once again, he wanted to ask exactly what troll blood could be used for.

______Leaving his room, Lumen made his way to the dining rooms, intent on finding Aldren the elder apprentice. It didn't take long to find him, he often stayed around after meals to help the cooks clean up before returning to his own work. Lumen approached Aldren respectfully, giving him a quick bow and receiving one in return, to his shock.

______”Don't look at me like that boy, y' eyeballs liable to fall out, or more likely get used in somebody's craft,” Aldren chastised Lumen, a grin on his face. After a bit of small talk he eventually looked Lumen in the eye,”Alright lad, what is it yeh are here for? Needing some advice on a craft yeh planning?”

______”Something like that Aldren, but perhaps a bit less planning. I wanted to know what Troll blood can be used for, besides the obvious regenerative capabilities. Heard some apprentices speaking of it earlier today, and I even heard that Troll season is open out there.” Lumen replied, using Aldren's real name, unlike most of the other apprentices who only called him sir.

______Aldren grinned even wider, and pearly teeth shined in the light of the room as he spoke,”That's all it's used for, lad. Troll blood doesn't have a single use besides powering healing magic and enchantments.”

______Lumen frowned for a moment, rubbing his head. Then he looked at Aldren's face, and something about the emotion on it made him ask,”Alright, what are you not saying? It's so obvious you're hiding something that you're beating me to death with the fact.”

______”I won't tell you now, but if ya bring me the head o' the biggest troll yeh can find, I'll tell yeh what yeh can be makin' from it.” Aldren replied, his grin still in place.

______Afterwards he wouldn't say a single thing about it, and eventually Lumen gave up trying and headed towards the entrance to his quarters. He was going troll hunting, and he would need all the rest of his gear. Within ten minutes he was ready and out the door, staring down tourists and doomsayers alike as he headed towards Rat's Alley.

--------------------

zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
Learn More · Sign-up Now

Topic Options

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0383 seconds · Archive

[ Copy this | Start New | Full Size ]