Skin created by Kman. Find more great skins at the IF Skin Zone.
Nightside2

zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.

Learn More · Sign-up for Free
Welcome to Nightside. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Protocol for RPings
Sloane
Posted: Sep 29 2009, 05:33 AM

Tourist

Group: Members
Member No.: 126

So, being new here, I just had one or two questions about protocol concerning postings. Help out the poor, hapless, innocent fool! Help him to see the light!

1) Is it acceptable practice to have your character in multiple topics, multiple RPs, at the same time? So far, I've had a little bit of cognitive difficulty in bringing myself to enter Sloane into a different topic while he's still running wild in "Search Begins", because it seems to me like he shouldn't be in two places at once, but I think I could get over that. I'd like to post a bit more, and I wanted to make absolutely certain that it's okay if I post in different RPs contemporaneously, without god-modding by giving Sloane strange cloning be-in-multiple-places-at-the-same-time powers.

2) What sort of etiquette exists in terms of affecting NPCs other people have created? I recall hearing something about not saying what happens to an NPC someone else introduced. Does this mean that if Sloane shoots at an NPC, then I can't say whether it hits or not, that's up to whoever introduced the NPC? Or would it be acceptable for me to go that far? I think I'm correct in saying that I shouldn't say that Sloane suddenly whips off his goggles and scares the bejeezus out of an NPC, causing that NPC to run away screaming for its potentially horrific mother, without the approval of whoever RPed that NPC in. So I shouldn't dictate the NPC's actions. But can I say that Sloane kicks an NPC's ass, without stepping on anyone's toes?

Sorry if these questions are a little superfluously technical...I just wanna make sure I'm not angering anyone here with my poor understanding of how to act.

--------------------

stormygolem
Posted: Sep 29 2009, 11:33 AM

Player

Group: Adminstrators
Member No.: 55

Those are two very good questions:

1. You are aloud to use the same character in multiple topics at the same time as long as your character won't be in to places at the same time. What this means is that not all of the threads take place chronologically at the same time for the board storyline. That is how players can rp in two different places at the same time. Weird confusing can happen if you have your character in two different topics involving people that are supposed to be taking place at the same time with different people. (this also has to do with making sure if you are in a thread that happened previously to something make sure you character doesn't know the information he learned later on. I hope this is making sense)

I also suggest trying to avoid hopping between different active threads. a.k.a leaving one thread to do something and entering in another immediately afterward to show your character moving from one location to another. This is allowed just make sure you have a general idea of when the thread his happening before you do this otherwise then some weird time-hopping might actually be done (or you could screw up someone else storyline but ruining there time line.)

2. Controlling others npc's is a touchy subject. In general it depends on the NPC. An example would be if they put in a large group of muggers that then attack you and the person you are rping with that introduced them. These are usually considered fair game but it is often polite to not beat them all up without letting the other people you are rping with react to the situation also. Then there are storyline NPC's that the person created to introduce to advance a plot in there thread. These I would say you should not take over because you may send the plot in wrong direction that the one the person who started the thread intended. An example of this kind of NPC would be a Mob boss who is talking to the group and explaining how he is going to have them all killed or whatever. If you are confused in what NPC you can control and which ones you can't then ask the creator of the thread and they will probably have the answer.

Second try not to add to important of NPC's to someone else story without warning them because again while you are aloud to have influence in directing that thread the person who created has most of the say. This also goes to specific details on something that someone else created. A.K.A giving them a weakness the creater didn't make or some along those lines.

Third don't rp cannon characters. Let an admin know if you are looking for a specific cannon char in your story or let who ever is playing the character know if it is assigned to someone. If there isn't an admin should be able to help you out as long as it makes sense that the character should show up.

--------------------
The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.
--Douglas Adams-- The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
--Douglas Adams--"Mostly Harmless"

Yes, it was an act of God. But which God?
--Douglas Adams-- "A Long Dark Teatime For the Soul"
%mh%199%mh%
Harlie Sage
Posted: Sep 30 2009, 01:25 AM

Heir to the Techno Thrown of Nightside

Member No.: 1

These are wonderful answers Storms. Thank you for taking the lead on this.

I just want clarifying some things I sort of found confusing.

You allowed to have your character in as many threads has you want, as long as you can handle it. Try not to over load yourself with being in too many threads at once. If you don't post then other people in a thread with you can't post.

You can also have two threads going in the same place just as long as the two threads never collide (unless you are doing the whole alternate reality idea then never mind, go with it, if you need an explanation on that feel free to ask).

Now with the whole NPC things, you can have as many NPCs as you want in what ever thread you want. You control the NPC and it is asked that you explain where that NPC came from, even if they come out of mid-air. In the Nightside, it happens. If the NPC is from the welcomed mind of another player you should find out of if you have free reign to kill maim and / or otherwise destroy as you see fit with the exception Stormy provided.

And as Stormy said, Cannon NPCs (Walker, Gods, Count Video and the like) are usually controlled by Admins. If you want one of them to come up in a Thread with you just let and admin know and we will be more than happy to assist.

If there is anything else. Let us know, we would love to help!

--------------------
I am Harlie Sage. I have been living in Nightside for as long as I can remember, though never stepping a foot outside our Mansion walls, until my father was murdered. Now it is up to me to find his murderer and save the family Business from outside influence. I am Harlie, just a normal girl in a world of things that go bump in the night.

user posted image%mh%82%mh%
Sloane
Posted: Sep 30 2009, 01:35 AM

Tourist

Group: Members
Member No.: 126

Thanks very much, these answers have been most informative! Greatly appreciated!

Forthwith, Sloane shall go out and be in multiple posts AT THE SAME (NON-CHRONOLOGICALLY SPEAKING) TIME! (OOOOO! AAAAAAAH!) Is he not amazing?

--------------------

Harlie Sage
Posted: Sep 30 2009, 02:05 AM

Heir to the Techno Thrown of Nightside

Member No.: 1

He sounds amazing to me! Go out into the world student and enjoy the wonderful death smelling Nightside!

--------------------
I am Harlie Sage. I have been living in Nightside for as long as I can remember, though never stepping a foot outside our Mansion walls, until my father was murdered. Now it is up to me to find his murderer and save the family Business from outside influence. I am Harlie, just a normal girl in a world of things that go bump in the night.

user posted image%mh%82%mh%
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic Options Quick Reply

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0225 seconds · Archive

[ Copy this | Start New | Full Size ]