Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to 53rd Welsh. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

53rd Welsh Kit List
DHv mosquito
Posted: Sep 28 2009, 11:18 AM

Group: Members
Member No.: 2

Essentials:
Battledress Jacket and Trousers (37 and 40 Pattern)
Braces for the trousers (N.B. SOF white braces are rubbish)
Relevant 53rd Welsh Div ignisia (if following RWF then RWF shoulder tabs and 53rd Division patch from DivPatch)
Gaiters
Ammo Boots (ideally or DMS)
Helmet - Mk II Tommy lid or Mk 3 Turtle lid

1937 Webbing:
2 Utility Pouches
Cross Straps
Belt
Water Bottle
Small Pack
Entrenching Tool
Bayonet Frog and Bayonet.

Additional Items
GS shirt (from SOF)
AB64 (Soldier ID book)
Rain cape
Utility Knife
Beret and Beret Badge (we have some badges to give out)
Mk3 Gas Mask Bag
Ammunition bandoliers
2 Bren magazines
Great Coat or Jerkin

Acceptable Weapons - check with us before purchasing your weapon to say if it is 'definitely' right, and you donít need all of them!
No.4 Rifle
Bren Gun
Sten Gun
Thompson
Webley/Enfield/Colt pistols
PIAT
Grenades (most common):
Mills Grenade
Type 69 Percussion Grenade

Small pack contents:
Contents varied according to personal taste. The small pack was designed to carry the essentials to last 24-48 hrs, so I personally work on the principal of;

a) Kit to be able to eat, so KFS (Knife, Fork, Spoon), Mess Tins, Personal cooker and fuel, matches, rations, water purification tablets.

cool.gif Kit to keep myself warm and dry, so jumper, gloves, cap comforter, spare socks, cape/groundsheet or gas cape.

c) Kit to be able to maintain myself, so wash/shaving kit, towel.

c) Kit to be able to maintain my equipment, so "housewife", boot brush, polish.

Things like spare shirt, greatcoat, more underwear, brass cleaning kit and other "non-essential" items would be in the large pack or kit bag.

www.divpatch.com
www.sofmilitary.co.uk
www.pegasusmilitaria.co.uk
Shivers
Posted: Sep 28 2009, 05:10 PM

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

Can I add:

*Beret = this should be the khaki GS beret when doing "in the field" or training-type scenarios. Postwar khaki berets with the plastic black or khaki stripes may or may not be acceptable as a starting point (depending on what you chaps think).

*Patches - If doing RWF you will need the RWF tabs, Divisional Patch and also three Infantry Arm of Service stripes (red colour). They will need to be sewn on with two horizontal and one vertical to form a "T" shape. This was, we believe, the brigade insignia for the 158th Brigade when it contained the three RWF battalions. I'm not sure whether it was maintained after the brigade reorganisation in August 1944 but I'm sure Jonny will clarify that.

I will try and add a basic costings list later on.

-S
DHv mosquito
Posted: Sep 29 2009, 12:06 AM

Group: Members
Member No.: 2

*Beret = this should be the khaki GS beret when doing "in the field" or training-type scenarios. Postwar khaki berets with the plastic black or khaki stripes may or may not be acceptable as a starting point (depending on what you chaps think).

NO BLACK BAND BERETS!!! Or there will be a major case of JJ NERDRAGE!!!! laugh.gif

JJ
Swiper
Posted: Sep 30 2009, 10:50 AM

Administrator

Member No.: 1

Equally the SoF berets seem useless for the money.
Shivers
Posted: Nov 6 2009, 07:44 PM

Member No.: 3

Well it can be luck of the draw with them. I saw a reasonably good repro when I was there last but didn't have the cash for it. You need to see them if you go for a SoF one.

That said, I haven't yet found them anywhere else. I suppose eBay will have to do.

NO BLACK BAND BERETS!!! Or there will be a major case of JJ NERDRAGE!!!! 

JJ

Ooo dear...*hides black band beret* biggrin.gif

-S
« Next Oldest | General Discussion | Next Newest »
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
Learn More · Register Now

Topic Options

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0210 seconds · Archive